Sunday, April 14, 2013

K is for...umm....Ketchup?!

So, there aren't a lot of well used words that begin with K in Spanish, but they say ketchup too.

Before I started traveling, I really wasn't a huge fan of it. Growing up, it was absent from my household. It was only when, while living with a host family, I was served meals like baked potatoes, rice, throughly cooked fish and yucca that I realised everything on my plate was white. And it was very carby. It is really hard to eat that much dry food. So, ketchup became my best friend. I mixed it into everything. My host family thought it must be a thing where I'm from, which I let them believe rather than telling them I found the food super bland and dry.

There are a variety of flavourful foods, but as a day to day thing, I found that the only way they added flavour to anything was either a) to drench it in lemon or b) serve copious amounts of aji (hot chilli sauce). Either way, all you can taste is lemons or chile, so you might as well snack on those foods directly, don't you think?!

2 comments:

KC Weldon said...

I'm a ketchup junkie. Without the cool backstory about why. Great post.

KC @ The Occasional Adventures of a Hermit & Oh Frog It

Gossip_Grl said...

Ketchup is my favorite food group!