Sunday, April 28, 2013

S is for Seguridad

Seguridad means saftey, or security

The province I live in requires children up to the age of 18 to wear bicycle helmets starting May 1st. When I talked to my friends South of the equator about this, I was met with disbelief. In many places there people don't even wear seatbelts. If you get in a taxi they usually don't have seatbelts in the back- only in the front. Apparently the law only requires driver and shotgun rider to wear them- so the driver will lay the seatbelt across his or her (usually his) lap so that it looks like they are wearing it. They leave the blessed thing about ONE INCH away from being clicked in. Seriously. JUST CLICK IT IN! I was always the one who told my friends to put on their seatbelts when travelling in private cars and I was always met with derision. Just my northern safety minded brain taking control. I was always the one who checked the boot of the taxi before we got in to make sure we didn't get jumped. And, I was the one checking for potential muggers all the time. So, I thank our society- we are constantly told that we have to do this or that or else 100 terrible things might happen to us. I really noticed it there, because nobody else seemed to be worried about these things.

No comments: